What's New?
I had a meeting with my village counterparts during her visit so I invited her as a guest lecturer. She educated them on how Anti-Retroviral Treatment works in the body and on HIV transmission.
We also went orange picking at a neighbor's place.
HIV Peer Educators
There were also some fun activities involved such as condom races where one group had to race the other group to see who could complete putting on a condom CORRECTLY and the fastest on a penis model.
HIV Support Groups
The HIV Support Group meetings are beginning to be a bit overwhelming. I cycled about 20km out to this place in the mountains (where they allegedly have monkeys although I didn't see any on the way) to help facilitate an HIV support meeting. Now these groups are supposed to be small but there were about 180 people there. This area apparently doesn't get a lot of visitors, so we took the oppotunity to do some basic HIV education there were people argued with me that they wouldn't eat with an HIV infected person because of the fear of having the HIV transmitted through the food. It made me think of how much more work I still have to do.
Working with UN organizations FAO and WFP
I've also managed to connect one of the communties to an Farmer Field Life School sponsored by two UN organiztions FAO (Food Agriculture Organization) and WFP (World Food Programme). The purpose of the school is to build the capacity of communities to develop income through agriculture projects and to increase food security for their families and the greater community. We just completed a training with 3 other group to give facilitators the skills they need to teach the communities. This is the entire group trained:
And here are my community facilitators and me (with a bad hair day).
4 Comments:
proud of ya as usual.
Hey Gurl!
They just showed on the news that Tom Brady was in Uganda to help with fundraising for HIV prevention !?!?! I was thinking, "Wow, EVERYBODY'S in Africa! Oprah, Tom Brady, George Clooney (he's working on issues in Dafur) and Natalie!"
Dont you come home this year? Trying to have something good for my birthday (late July). Hope youll be back for that. God bless you. Click on my screen name to see my new blog on Vox.
Great work natalie.The footprints of your selfless service will forever be remembered and l am sure the village will never forget your smile that graced their land, your land, our land!!! l am proud of the work you're doing. peace.
Justice
Happy Birthday, yo.
Post a Comment
<< Home