Natalie in Zambia 2005-2008

Natalie's Peace Corps Experience in Zambia

My Photo
Name:
Location: Durham, NC, United States

Laugh, love, live!

Saturday, January 09, 2010

Help Filder finish High School with one Dollar!


http://natalieinzambia.blogspot.com

Although I no longer live in Zambia, I took on the responsibility to put two young girls through high school while I was in my service and vowed to see them through to grade 12 at the very least. One of them recently graduated in December and the other has one more year to go.

Thecrafilder Mweemba ("Filder" for short) is a sixteen year old orphan living with HIV. I met her when her grandmother brought her to one of my HIV testing events in the village in 2006. Both of her parents had died when she was very young within a year of each other. I have reason to believe that she was infected at birth from the oral history she has shared with me that did not include abuse. She is smart, humble, and always eager to learn. She has started antiretroviral treatment and has been able to maintain good health with the proper food supplements. I have entrusted her with a caretaker who has proven reliable in helping her to buy food, clothes and pay for school fees with the funds that are sent there periodically.

Since her parents died she had lived with her grandmother who is well-over 70 years old, she managed to get through the village level of schooling to grade 8, however high school fees can cost from $100 - $350 per term because they are boarding schools outside the village. I sponsored Filder to start grade 9 while I was in the village and have had the help of another American sister in keeping her in school. She will enter grade 12 this year and classes have already begun. Now that I am a student again, it has become challenging to go it alone, so I decided to reach out to my friends and associates and ask for a paypal $1 donation. If 250 of my facebook friends donate $1, I can cover one of the three terms for her grade 12 education plus supplemental food that she needs to take with her ARV medicine to keep her immune system strong.

Please consider donating $1 to help Filder finish high school!

http://natalieinzambia.blogspot.com

Click below to donate:







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home